Monday, January 14, 2013

Author profile: the prolific Margaret Lake

In today's author profile, we're pleased to introduce author Margaret Lake, writer of over twenty romance, children's, and graphic novels!

I’ve always been an avid reader and frequently thought I would like to write a book. I wrote down many story ideas over the years, but none of them appealed to me. If they didn’t appeal to me, I knew they wouldn’t appeal to anyone else.

Years later, my son-in-law bought me a computer. It had a great golf game on it where you could choose your club, adjust for wind speed, etc., and I quickly became addicted. He came home every night (they lived with me) to find me playing away. One night he said that if he’d thought I was just going to play games, he would have bought me an Atari instead. That was a little embarrassing.

I woke up at three o’clock that morning with a story in mind including the main character and the title, booted up the computer and began to write. I wrote at night and on weekends and my family hardly saw me. I ate at my computer and sometimes, I slept there. It was the best fun I’ve ever had.

I have since published thirteen romance novels and novellas (historical, contemporary and fantasy), as well as nine children’s books and one graphic novel and I’m still having the time of my life.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Harvey. Excellent representation of my work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must read some of your work, Margaret. I am a writer who isn't writing... and have so much to write. I guess I don't think I can do it. I'll be reading you soon. cc in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, cc

      Every time I sit down and put fingers to keyboard, I don't think I can do it. I think self-doubt is part of the writer's makeup. We lack confidence so we throw ourselves into a make-believe world where we can make everything come out right.

      Just type in that first sentence, even if it's only "once upon a time" and let the story flow from there. You can do it. You just have to trick yourself into starting.

      Good luck and let me know when you type that first sentence.

      Margaret

      Delete