Saturday, August 25, 2012

Hey, you, get out of your genre! Try a book outside your usual tastes!

In our Kindle forums, member Roz Morris has written an intriguing post about reading books outside one's usual tastes... and being surprised by it!

Roz had to read some chick-lit because of a freelance writing assignment. In her words: "It's not a genre I'd felt tempted to read before and probably wouldn't have to this day. But duty called so I picked up Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic & Baby. Really not my kind of book - and I was imagining a cliche-ridden dumb-girl story about someone growing a little wiser while pregnant."

And the results: "I thoroughly enjoyed every minute. It was sharp, sassy, well paced, deftly plotted, very funny and executed with aplomb. Sophie Kinsella is a terrific storyteller and her characters are perfectly judged for a slightly daffy but very believable story world. I've now got her novel Remember Me on my shelf, waiting for a nasty cold so that I can snuggle down with it for a giggle."

The responses from other readers has been equally interesting and full of good book recommendations:  

NogDog took a chance on the dark satire Death and the Penguin by Andrey Kurkov, and reviewed it favorably. 

David McCullough's John Adams was picked up by bordercollielady, who says she's "not much of a history buff but his writing style reads much like a novel. I didn't want it to end."

33 A.D., by David McAfee, was recently read by Ann in Arlington. She notes that "I am NOT a person who likes horror at all. No zombies or vampires or anything like that. But the set up of this book intrigued me.  When he put it on sale for 99¢ I decided that it was worth a try at that price. I came away very impressed with how he made his vampire based story work within the accepted events of Holy Week, and actually tied it into the question of who wanted Jesus dead and why."

See more "out of genre" recommendations in the KindleBoards thread!

No comments:

Post a Comment